Football season is officially back, y’all! I am one of those heat lovers that shrugs off humidity and would be happy with 10 months of summer (the other 2 months with snow for the holidays, obviously) but I have to say that this year I’ve been ready for the cool down that is fall. My favorite part about football season, though? THE SNACKS. I made this Buffalo Chicken Queso Dip for the Lions game on Sunday and it is going to be one of my go-to recipes all season. If you’re not into buffalo style, check out my recipe for classic homemade queso.
Buffalo Chicken Queso Recipe
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – shredded
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
2 garlic cloves – minced
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 – 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot (or more to taste)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
Blue cheese for garnish
You’ll start this queso like any other basic cheese sauce; with a roux.
Over medium-high heat, melt your butter in a medium saucepan and then add your garlic and cook until fragrant. Add your flour and cook until bubbly and thick, but not darker in color.
Now you’ll add your milk and chicken broth and whisk until smooth and creamy. Add your spices and stir.
Now is time for Red Hot. This is where you’ll want to taste it and adjust the spice level. I like just enough Red Hot to flavor the sauce, but then I like some cayenne pepper for that specific heat without any added hot sauce flavor. But that’s just me, so make it your own!
Time for cheese!
Last but not least, the chicken! I cooked mine in a pressure cooker with just salt and pepper for seasoning. Shredded it up, and into the pot!
Top it with some blue cheese crumbles and get your hubby to hand model.
Serve with chips, beer, and a good game on TV!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – shredded
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 – 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot (or more to taste)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese
- Blue cheese for garnish
- Cook and shred your chicken breasts, set aside.
- Melt your butter in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add your garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add your flour and stir until bubbly and thick, but not brown.
- Pour in your milk and chicken broth and stir until creamy.
- Stir in your spices, hot sauce, and cheeses.
- Add your shredded chicken.
- Top with blue cheese crumbles and enjoy!
- I cooked my chicken in a pressure cooker. It was frozen and I cooked for 12 minutes on high with 1.5 cups of chicken broth and salt and pepper. Shred immediately.